Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Sin Senos No Hay Paraiso

The title is of our favorite Nicaraguan soap opera.
This week so far we have completed our solar cookers and begun building solar powered battery chargers. We are also working on problem solving for the space the Solar Center is located. The women with whom we work are hoping to build a restaurant and kitchen on site so we are looking at the best possible location and layout for the building. I´ve become a fairly good translator although I don´t think my Spanish is really improving all that much because my families don´t correct me when I speak. My homestay mom here has talked to me a lot about life in Nicaragua and some of the people she knows who have crossed into the US.
In a few days we are leaving for our first trip to the rainforest where I´ll be for 2 weeks with no access to e-mail or phones. The trip is going by really quickly as we´re almost half way done. Some of us have gotten parasites at our most recent location, me not included.
I have a younger brother and sister here who play cards with me almost every night and my homestay father takes care of a coffee farm for a living. I´m enjoying the cheapness of Nicaragua because once we get to Costa Rica prices will be much higher.

1 comment:

  1. you have to bring your solar-powered building skills home. i think your spanish is probably great. you're probably in the rainforest now, so maybe you wont get this for a while, but try not to get any parasites in the rainforest. sounds like youre having a great time, good trips always go so fast. enjoy the rainforest, it should be exotic.

    Love,
    jared and rachel

    ReplyDelete